Sunday, February 17, 2013

Cover Is Done

The Cover Is Done!

Woot!  I received the final cover art from Sean Hill this week and it looks great.  It has the look and feel that I was aiming for.  Even though it was all done on computer it has a very artsy freehand feel to it.  Great job Sean!

The next step was to pick the font, effect, and layout.  I wanted to keep it clean and use a font that gives it the sci-fi and geeky feel.  After scouring dafont.com and locating 8-10 font candidates, I had to figure out how to install the fonts on my Mac.  Turned out to be very easy.  Just had to know which folder to drop the files into.  I then used iStudio Publisher to review and select the titling to use.  This actually ended up taking a significant amount of my day.  I had a Google Image view of "sci fi covers" in one browser tab, a listing of "science fiction" books sorted by popularity on Amazon.com, and my wife peering over my shoulder.

Once the font (Ethnocentric) was selected I added a very subtle red blur shadow effect to the title and my name.  I also added "A Zegin Adventure" in a standard Courier New Bold font using CRT green as a computer geek touch.  And no, I'm not an expert at this stuff.  I may have been around computers, programming, and networks for many years but I'm far, far, away from being any kind of a graphic artist.  Anyway, I think the end result turned out pretty good and I'm going to run with it.  My next step will be to see how it looks on a Kindle Fire HD.

In the Red

As I've been touting via this blog and I've been taught from other writers in the community, it is very important to make an investment in time, effort, and money to have a successful release.  This all started with a story idea and several rewrites to embellish the story.  I could have posted to Amazon at that point and hoped for the best.  But I decided to jump through the extra hoops, take the time, spend the money, and do what I could to make this a quality release.  So, where am I at financially in this?  Here are my numbers:
  • Professional Editing : $100
  • Custom Cover Art : $350
  • iStudio Publisher Software : $29.99
Total expenses thus far : $479.99

That's not a small chunk of change to spend on a short story eBook release!  There's no guarantee in any of this.  I might end up being in the hole on this first push into eBook publishing.  But I can say that I've learned a lot and have opened up a lot of doors during the process.  I feel pretty good about where I'm at and I'm getting excited about the upcoming release.  The trick now is to take a deep breath, keep working through all the details, and not get a bad case of hurry-up-itis. 

Next (Tim Conway) Steps

Now that the story is done and the cover is done, I have a few more steps to go through:
  • Write the Intro page and credits page
  • Include Jezi's Delima story
  • Add a teaser for Zegin's Abduction
  • Format all the content (Cover and text) for Kindle eBook
  • Set up the Amazon KDP account
  • Obtain the ISBN 
  • Publish
  • Tell everyone I know and don't know about my new book (Twitter, G+, etc.)
Social Media Progress

The latest statistics:

Klout Score: 49 (No change)
TT.com Page Loads for the past month: 1241 (-39)
Twitter Followers: 1069 (+90)
G+ Peeps Following: 314 (+24)

Woot!  I passed the 1k milestone on Twitter followers.  Thank you all!  Klout seems to be stuck at 49.  I keep tapping on the screen to unstick the indicator but it doesn't seem to be working.  And again, Google Plus is just slowly climbing up. 

Once the story hits Amazon I'll do a big push on the social media marketing.  Then I'll be diving back into the rest of the writing and get Zegin's Abduction out next.  Gotta keep the pipeline busy.

Keep reading and writing!





(Cover art is Copyright (c) 2013, Sean Hill)

4 comments:

  1. Very cool! Hope it goes viral fast. We are behind you all the way. Woot! Woot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the support Jimmy & Kimmy! Much appreciated.

      Delete
  2. Very interesting how you are sharing the whole process! I've learned so much since embarking on my own self-publishing journey ... which began just over a year ago. It's a lot of work but worth it in the end. You have the satisfaction of saying you did it and you accomplished it and there is nothing more gratifying than having a reader write to you and tell you how much they enjoyed your story. You put your heart and soul into it...it's nice to see that it's appreciated by someone besides yourself! Best of luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks DJ. Even if it doesn't work out, at least it's a good guide for others wanting to give it a shot. I appreciate hearing that you have found it useful. I wish you much success as well.

      Delete